- Next events
- Again briefly review what we are doing and why (Goal: to ensure that our city charter (still) provides the best possible framework for the government of the City of Pine Lake)
- Hear about the last time the charter was reviewed thoroughly (10 min. with discussion)
- Hear in detail what public officials have identified as issues to examine; so far
- Form of government: Is the strong mayor – weak council form of government still serving us well?
- Administration: Does the charter go into the optimum level of detail about job descriptions? As the nature of the work in the city changes, we might want more freedom to change what various employees do. Right now, the charter is quite specific about some of that.
- Fiscal year: Should we change the start of the fiscal year to start closer to the time when DeKalb delivers tax $ to us?
- Removal process
- Banning officials removed from office from ever serving again: should this be up to the voters?
- I will interview council members and city employees in more depth so that I have more input and more detail, as requested at the Town Hall meeting on August 7.
- Hear from citizens about areas in which they feel they charter does not serve us well
- Identify the issues that this group of people feels are most important to investigate (remembering that there will be 2 groups meeting at different times)
- Give people a chance to express interest in serving in different roles – primarily on “discovery teams” about different issues
Kick-off meetings (You only need to come to one)
Saturday August 21 10AM, Court House
Thursday August 26 7:15 PM Court House
At these meetings, we will :
This is a tentative agenda and details could change.
You may of course come to both meetings – but please come to one!
How to prepare
If you can:
(1) read the current Pine Lake charter:
- In print at City Hall (call 404-292-4250 to make sure someone will be there when you want to go)
- Online at http://library6.municode.com/default-now/home.htm?infobase=14254&doc_action=whatsnew
- (2) Browse the GMA 2007 Model Charter, which has lots of background information about different forms of government, for example: http://www.gmanet.com/Publications.aspx?CNID=19951 I have not been able to read this using Google Chrome – try Firefox or Internet Explorer
If you can’t, come anyway. The important thing is to get involved.
Thanks, and hope to see you there,
August 16, 2010